It’s just about time for family, food, and football. Turkey day is here and for the first time ever, I’m not spending it with my family but with a friend in San Diego, enjoying a reprieve from the insanity that has been my schedule this past year. It’s been a year of many things; good, bad, or otherwise and I’m so thankful for so many of them.
- A photography business that exploded. Going from 3 solo weddings to 10 this year along with 20 portrait sessions was insane - and I’m already starting to book for 2017. There’s also the photography communities I’ve started to join. They’re filled with brilliant, incredible, and supportive people who all want to help each other succeed and be happy. These groups have helped me grow so much.
- A day job that infuriates and challenges me, that I love going to every single day. I typically lose the battle with physics, but it’s fun taking a napkin sketch and turning it into a commercially available medical device.
- Paying off my college loans. It took me exactly 3 years and 11 months since graduating Georgia Tech to pay off a BMW. My shoulders feel a little less heavy nowadays.
- Living by myself. I’ve been sans roommate for the first time in my life since May and I’m loving it. I’ve learned a tremendous amount about who I am, forced myself to learn how to cook, realized that ironing is a mandatory skill set I must master and that there’s nothing more precious than having your own space to escape too. Introvert problems.
- Growing closer with my sister. We’ve always been a pain in the ass to each other for as long as I can remember, but these past few months we’ve grown closer and I’m so appreciative of it. We actually call each other out of the blue now, just to say hello.
- Parents that are always there (birth and the numerous adoptive ones I’ve collected). It’s a luxury that I have to remind myself of every day. I’m incredibly fortunate for their continual support, aid, and counsel.
- Friends that I can call on no matter what. Since graduating Tech, several of my closest friends have chased their careers and dreams to other parts of the country with the last of my best friends about to follow suit. It’s a bit saddening, but I know that the distance won’t really matter because these people will always remain such a huge part of my life. I’m also grateful the friendships I’ve developed these past few months and years - they’ve become people I know I can count on and that’s amazing.
Yes, this is a photography blog, but I’m a sappy romantic and I want you to know there’s a person behind this site of colors, composition, and candids. I also want to say thanks to You, my Readers (Followers? Viewers? Person using some sort of technological device to view my site - Youse Guys!). I still cannot fathom that people exist who not only enjoy my work but trust me enough to let me create art of them. I’d have never thought I’d be here just 3 years ago.
Finally, a HUGE thanks for putting up with my rambling blog posts - seriously do I actually make sense on here?
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you’re feeling stuffed and happy.
And because this is a photography blog, here are some images from recent sessions.